Thinking of a new project for your small decorative crocheted items? Here is a simple Do-it-Yourself (DIY) Card that you can make! You may use crocheted flowers, leaves, cartoon characters, or any crocheted item that can fit as a card decoration. Have fun! ♡
- Crocheted item for the design (for this project, we will be using crocheted flowers and leaves)
- Two (2) kinds of specialty paper, cutter, scissors, hole puncher, tape, glue, extra crochet thread (the same color of the flower), hook, and ruler
Creating the card using the specialty paper:
I used a 220 Grams per Square Meter (GSM) specialty paper, so it’s hard enough for a card. The size of the paper is 8.5 x 13, so I had to cut it into half to make a smaller card.
1. Fold the paper crosswise and cut into half using the cutter to create a smaller card out of the 8.5 x 13 specialty paper. (You can skip this step if you want to make a bigger card)
2. Fold the paper crosswise creating a small card
Placing the crocheted design in the card:
1. To place the leaves design on the card, punch holes into the front page of the card for the green stem and leaves to go through. To create a crawling vine design for the leaves, start placing the holes on the bottom side of the front page. Add holes on the right side of the front page from the lower to the middle part.
2. Insert the leaves through the holes on the card. Pull the stem and leaves, but not too tightly, to create curvy effect on the stem.
3. After placing the leaves in the desired position, place a tape on the stem of the leaves on the back of the page to secure the leaves in its position.
4. Use the crocheted flowers to cover the holes in the card where the crocheted leaves went through.
5. Insert a crochet thread on the back stitch of the crocheted flowers. This will serve as the safety string for the flowers.
6. Insert the ends of the strings through each of the two holes.
7. Pull the strings from the back to secure the flowers tightly, and tie the strings at the back after putting the flower in the desired position.
8. Repeat step #7 for all the crocheted flowers to cover the holes.
Inner Card Lining
I used another specialty paper of different design as inner lining of the card to cover the inner part that shows the holes and taped stem of the crocheted vine. I used a thinner paper this time, which was only 80 GSM.
1. Measure the size of the card using a ruler. Using the card measurement, cut the specialty paper to cover the whole inner part of the card.
2. Put glue in the inner part of the card and paste the specialty paper creating a lining of a different color and covering the holes and stems inside the card.
Take a photo of your creation and share it with us in the comment section.♥
Hi! I’m Gale, a Crocheter, Crafter, and Researcher from the Philippines.
Let me share with you my travels, crochet projects, work side-trips 😛 , and my struggle to find sparkle of hope in this world.